Thursday, June 21, 2012



Awhile ago we ate at Mama's and discovered the glorious dish known as manakeesh.  Gah.  And garlic paste.  Am I dreaming here?  Best. Food. Ever.  


Scott and Cos were really excited about barbecuing over the weekend.  My smile looked kind of like Cosmo's.  I'm just not pictured.  I didn't want to take away from this photo in any way.  


Aren't roasted bell peppers top notch?  I absolutely hate buying them in the glass containers where they are soaking in oil.  Bleh.  Word of warning - they cook fast on the grill.  I'm talkin' really fast. 


The potatoes pictured above (smothered in roasted red pepper sauce) were a glorious come up.  I was looking at old cooking magazines cutting out photos to hang in my kitchen and I saw this singular recipe that was vegan friendly and sounded heavenly.  Believe you me it tasted heavenly as well.  

Place cookie sheet in oven on lowest rack.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Slice potatoes 1/2 inch thick (disks not cubes) and then place in a pot of cold water with just enough liquid to cover them.  Let the water come to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes.  
Drain the potatoes and then toss in a boil with olive oil (a few tablespoons) and salt and pepper.  Place on cookie sheet.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes (turning pan halfway through) and then flip each slice over and put back in oven for 20 minutes longer (turning halfway through again).  
The timing may be more and may be less for you.  You want each side golden brown.  The finished product will be crispy on the outside and ... lets say creamy in the center.  


Next we made stovetop oatmeal.  Easy.  Delicious.  If cooking for two:
Bring 1 cup water and 1 cup milk to a boil.  Add 1 cup rolled oats and turn the heat down.  Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Stir in some freshly ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and maple syrup.  Top with fresh berries.  Now you can proceed with your day.  


Scott was joking around (I think) and said it looked like we were going on vacation because I was grabbing everything out of the fridge.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to make, I just knew I wanted it to involve lots of veggies.  What better dish to make than roasted veggies?  We placed a slice of tempeh amongst the veggies.  It turned out delightfully flavorful.  And get this - it was Scott's idea to throw everything in the oven.  If you lived with us you would understand that this used to be my go to dinner.  Roasted veggies every other night.  Scott dreaded it.  His thing was stir fry and mine was veggies of the oven variety.  I was quite thrilled when he came up with that night's dinner.  You can tell we live together.  


Something else about Scott and me - we love bagel sandwiches.  Who knew that everything bagels were fabulous?  My dad.  My dad knew that long before I did.  Why?  Why, for the love of God, did it take 27 years for me to figure this out?  Cream cheese, cucumber, tomato, avocado, sprouts, mustard, pepper.  Um... Yum.


Did I mention that I finally got my package of vegan goodies?  Well I did.  It definitely included white chocolate chips (which I am forbidding Scott to eat straight out of the bag) and a cook book with recipes for cinnamon buns AND baked donuts.  Gluten free cinnamon buns and baked donuts (lots and  lots of other recipes too but those are two of the best creations known to man).  I'm doing a happy dance.  (Nice cheek bones, by the way, eh?)


Oh.  And then there's this.  The photo that is incredibly meaningful to me.  The photo (true story) taken approximately 20 hours after the batch of cookies came out of the oven and the only one missing was eaten by me.  I don't think you quite understand.  I live with the cookie monster.  This was a miracle.  A true miracle.  

2 comments:

  1. you never fail to crack me up with these blog posts. Glad to hear you are having a food frenzy making good time. One question, why were the cookies still sitting on the cookie sheet HOURS after baking? Hmmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so much fun to read, I chuckle every time, and can't wait to share it with everyone. Thanks for sharing your special moments with Scott, it means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete