Tuesday, March 20, 2012


Coconut rice is just as simple and delicious as it sounds: 1 can of coconut milk (I use the reduced fat kind. No particular reason. You may use whatever you wish or whatever you can find.) and 1 cup of rice. (brown, brown, brown!) Cook as you would regular rice.

Breaded tempeh: Cut the tempeh into whatever size/shape you wish to eat. (For just Scott and myself I cut 1 block in half. We use the second half for another dinner. I then cut the half in half... triangles, even. Ohhh ahhh!) Boil the tempeh for 5 minutes (this allows any flavors to more easily soak in later and I just like the end texture. It's all about texture, baby!) and then place in a bowl with a mixture of milk (rice milk) and lemon juice (1 tsp) just covering the bottom of the bowl. Flip over. Now make your breading: 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 4 TB cornstarch (or tapioca/potato/whateva), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp powdered garlic, 1/2 tsp thyme. Coat the pieces of tempeh with the dry mixture. Place in a lightly oiled pan (Cast iron is always best. For everything.) and cook on medium/high heat for 2-5 minutes on each side. You'll know when they're done. I'm not some fancyass chef and I know. You'll know.

Sauteed spinach: saute some spinach. Ha! I made a mixture of a few tablespoons each Braggs, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and water (Can I trademark that mixture?) to go with the spinach. You need to throw a few heaping (and I mean HEAPING) handfuls of spinach in to make it worthwhile. I threw everything together and stirred constantly for 1 minute. I just wanted to warm the greens. You'd be surprised how quickly they cook down.

Now: Eat. Enjoy. Don't be afraid to pat yourself on your back for deciding to make this amazing meal. The coconut rice is amazing, yes? And how about that breaded tempeh? So much better than chicken, yes?


No comments:

Post a Comment